Free English lessons for new migrants
About the Adult Migrant English Program
- Access up to 510 hours of free English lessons and free childcare (if eligible).
- Study practical English for living, working and studying in Australia.
- Learn how to access government and community services.
- Make new friends who have just moved to Australia.
- Get ready for work or study and plan for your future.
- You have been granted an eligible migration visa to Australia. Please register within six months of receipt of your visa letter.
- You have a family, skilled, humanitarian, spousal or approved temporary visa.*
- You cannot speak/read/write English or need to improve your English.
- You are aged over 18. Some migrant youths aged 15-17 may also be eligible.
*Please note that approved temporary visas do not include the work and holiday visa, working holiday visa or visitor visas.
Flexible study options
- Study full-time or part-time at locations across Queensland.
- Be supported by a volunteer home tutor if you can’t attend full-time.
- Study online through distance learning.
- Complete your AMEP within five years of arrival in Australia.
What will I learn in class?
- Join a class suitable for your level of English.
- Be supported by our Community Liaison Officers and your AMEP Case Manager while you study.
- Learn about Australian workplace language, culture and practices.
- Access additional English tuition if you have had limited education or issues that impact your ability to learn.
- Access free childcare while you study English (subject to eligibility).
- Prepare for interviews and write a resume.
- Gain up to 80 hours of work experience.